Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities
Welcome to the Idaho State Independent Living Council's Medicaid For Workers with Disabilities information page. Below you will find helpful answers to your most frequently asked questions. For more information, visit Medicaid's website.
The Idaho State Independent Living Council hosted a Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities Webinar on July 11, 2012. To view the webinar, use this link: Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities Webinar (the file will open in Windows Media Player. To download Windows Media Player, go to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/windows-media-player). The audio in the file will begin playing after approximately 1 minute.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities?
Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities (MWD) or Medicaid Buy In (MBI) is an Idaho Medicaid program that provides health coverage to working Idahoans with a disability. MWD was created to encourage Idahoans with disabilities to work and still keep their health care coverage. Depending on your countable gross income, you may have to pay a premium for the MWD program. Generally, the premium is $10.00 per month.
Who is eligible for MWD?
- Must meet Social Security’s definition of disability (You DO NOT need to be a SSI or SSDI beneficiary)
- Between the ages of 16 – 64
- Earn at least 15% of your gross income (before exclusions and disregards) from wages. Self-Employment also qualifies.
- Be an Idaho resident
Do I make too much?
The amount of earned income you are allowed for the MWD program is very generous. You are allowed to make up to 500% of the Federal Poverty Guideline (for a single person household that would be approximately $4,650.00 per month). To see the income limit chart, go to the Medicaid for Workers with Disabilities page at: http://www.healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/Medical/Medicaid/MedicaidforWorkerswithDisabilities/tabid/1917/Default.aspx
Do I have too many assets?
You are allowed resources up to $10,000.00/$15,000 (single/married). Your home, two (2) vehicles, life insurance and retirement plans DO NOT count as resources.
How do I apply?
Fill out a general Health and Welfare application marking ONLY the section for medical assistance. This application is available at your local Health and Welfare office or online at http://healthandwelfare.idaho.gov
Write “MEDICAID FOR WORKERS WITH DISABILITIES” across the top of the application neatly.
Obtain copies of:
- Recent bank statements
- Recent pay stubs
- Your IRA or 401(k) statement
- Proof of other income (such as SSDI)
- And a completed rental verification form (available in the lobby of Health and Welfare)
- Keep a copy of your application and all supporting documents for your records!!!
- Take the above information to your Health and Welfare office to a Self-Reliance Specialist
- Tell the worker you want to be screened for Medicaid for WORKERS WITH DISABILITIES.
- After your application has been taken, it will be screened by the local office for eligibility.
- This process can take 30 – 60 days to complete
- If you do not hear from someone within this timeframe, call 1-877-456-1233 to determine if your application is being processed.